Wednesday 27 March 2013

Darn this wagon thing.


We are all creatures of habit. We can do most things without even thinking about them; our bodies take charge and do them for us. – Earl Nightingale

So it has been one of those couple of days, more like weeks, where all I had planned to do failed to materialize. Not because of unforeseen circumstances or interruptions, but cause I fell off the wagon.
Having lived without knowing what was affecting me, I had gotten so used to breaking promises that I made to myself (few as they were). I’m the kind of fellow who doesn’t bother with things like ‘New Year Resolutions’ because I know most of them used to be forgotten within the first week of January.
To compound on this is the fact that since childhood, I had no idea what a diary was for. Not that I had one, mind you, but the idea that I should note down what I planned to do later was an alien concept. This is a reality for most people I’ve known or met within our country.
Not to say that they do not manage. But if you’ve heard of the phrase “African Time” you’d understand, we Africans don’t set our timings with the military precision most western countries do. So if we are to meet at 2.00 p.m. as long as I make it before evening I’m on time. And with the enhanced abilities I have it means I may show up as late as a week after.
Anyway, getting back to what i was talking of. I was in the midst of coming to terms with the new life I have and what I have to do to “fit in” with the rest of society. After reading about how meditation, Yoga and a stable and healthy diet I came up with a simple (chuckle) schedule consisting of 3 items.
  1. Yoga in the morning once I’m up (still trying to master the Sun salutation)
  2. Reach the office 1 hr before reporting time to get a chance to add to my blog
  3. Meditation before sleeping (when the amount of interference is lowest)
Well. I’m proud to say that I managed it for a week before I fell off. I’m still trying to figure out what triggered my fall. Maybe is the change of medications (I was moved from Zosert to Stilnox and Encorate) or the simple fact that I got late travelling back last Monday. Whatever the reason I suddenly found myself getting up late, losing focus more and more, and failing to meet my basic schedule. Luckily, Easter is here with us so I’m hoping to dedicate Good Friday to a bit more soul-searching.
Have yourselves a programmed week. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I seriously need to prioritize. Went looking for something on the web (can't remember what) and have just realized it's already 5 am. As in I've been online for 5 hours?!?
    Darn

    ReplyDelete